Saturday, February 2, 2013

How to clean a microfiber couch!

Ready to learn?
You better be!

Haha. Maybe this is just common knowledge, but as you may have seen in an earlier post, I have recently moved out of an apartment with a less than stellar roommate. What does that have to do with cleaning a couch?
Well since said ex roommate bought a puppy and had a 'mudboggin' boyfriend who had no respect for others things I left the apartment with a totally nasty couch.

After scouring Pinterest for cleaning tips I found Chris and Robin's Nest and their How to clean Microfiber tutorial. So I gave it a try!

It didn't turn out perfectly but I think it's because my couch was super super dirty!
Here's a quick overview, but you can also check out the "official" one here: http://chrisandrobinsnest.blogspot.com/2010/09/how-to-clean-microfiber-furniture.html?m=1

Supplies:
Rubbing alcohol (use a spray nozzle on the bottle)
White sponge or cloth
(The cloth worked best for me)
Scrub brush

Step 1: Vacuum any dirt or crumbs and such off of the surface.

Step 2: Spray the dirty surface with the alcohol, make sure to saturate it. (Don't worry the alcohol doesn't leave watermarks)

Step 3: Scrub your poor little heart out! Warning: you may be totally grossed out by the dirt and grime that comes off on your white cloth or sponge.

Step 4: Let it completely dry. You may be thinking "Ew no it'll get dark and dry and stiff." It will but that's where step 5 comes in.

Step 5: Brush the areas with the scrub brush. The areas that are stiff or darker should be brushed/ scrubbed out! Buff it til it's beautiful!

Now, you should be done. I'm including pictures of mine, but don't be discouraged plenty of other people have had better out comes! I think mine really helped in some places and then I think it brought up stains that are below the surface like in the cushioning so that's why I think it didn't work as perfectly as I thought, but I think I'm going to try it again next week! I'll fill you in on the details. And PS I didn't think about taking great before and after pictures so I'm sorry about that! Haha

Good luck!















No comments:

Post a Comment